In August 2012 Elton Consulting was engaged by Wollongong City Council staff to help draft a new Sustainability Policy as well as prepare an Environmental Sustainability Strategy and Action Plan for 2013-2017.
The Elton Consulting team conducted research into:
- The level of sustainability in Council’s current plans, programs, processes and implementation
- Community expectations regarding protection of Wollongong’s natural assets and heritage – this research was guided by Council’s 2022 Community Strategic Plan and information from the consultation process
- The range of initiatives currently implemented by Council to support sustainability and areas for further development, particularly around community expectations and legislative requirements
- Communicating the environmental initiatives and successes that Council has delivered in the region
- Lessons learnt from the implementation of current sustainability initiatives and projects, in particular the Illawarra Sustainability Roadmap process
- Identifying major opportunities for Council to deliver sustainability initiatives.
Following the research, which included extensive internal stakeholder consultation, a Discussion Paper was drafted including the proposed structure and methodology of the Environmental Sustainability Strategy and Action Plan. A workshop was held with Council staff to review the research report and proposed Environmental Sustainability Strategy and Action Plan structure to ensure it reflects staff capacity and needs.
Once the Environmental Sustainability Strategy and Action Plan is finalised, a critical step will be identifying stakeholder engagement opportunities.
Implementation of priority environmental actions will require collaboration between staff members across the Council and partnerships with the community.