The Heights, Durack, is an exciting new residential development, which provides for a master planned community, with a key central community centre, open space and housing diversity and affordability.
Located on land identified by Charles Darwin University as surplus to the needs of the Palmerston campus, the sustainable development is a stone’s throw from Palmerston city centre. It has delivered a wide range of housing, from smaller land lots to multiple housing types.
Residents have bought houses as part of the first few stages of the subdivision, which is linked by strategically placed road connections to Durack.
Engaged in 2009 by CIC Australia and Larrakia Development Corporation, Elton Consulting was part of the bid team to support the winning tender to develop the site. Elton Consulting was then responsible for managing ongoing community consultation; including one-on-one meetings, group briefings, community open days and information sessions, along with direct engagement with key government departments and the City of Palmerston.
In addition to the consultation, Elton Consulting led the town planning processes for the development:
- The first phase included a complex rezoning application with the creation of a Special Use Zone that allowed for a diverse lot sizes and housing choice, and took an integrated approach to lot layout and setbacks – a first for the Northern Territory. Approval for this rezoning was successfully achieved in February 2012.
- Subsequent to the rezoning, up to seven subdivision applications were lodged and successfully approved. These applications represent the first ten phases of the development – totalling over 500 lots. Lot sizes range from over 800sqm down to 300sqm, and are supported with an extensive network of open space, a community facility and integrated retirement living.
- A standout feature of the development is the preservation of existing vegetation which will form the backbone of neighbourhood parks located throughout the project.
- Planning also involved the construction of the display village showcasing various lot sizes and designs. Examples of the high quality landscaping and finishes to be featured in the development will also be demonstrated.
- We have also assisted in the approval of the community centre and advise on the retirement living housing.
We also support Peet Pty Ltd by ensuring conditions of consent are addressed or compliance with the design guidelines, which are an essential part of achieving good quality built form in The Heights.