Elton Consulting was responsible for engaging and inspiring the Hornsby Shire community to participate in the ‘Plan Your Parkland’ Infrastructure project; a Council-led project with the objective of transforming the underutilised Hornsby Quarry into a destination for the community.
Hornsby Quarry is a complex site with a long history. Elton Consulting was tasked with creating an engagement strategy to encourage local residents to put forward their bold, ‘blue sky’ ideas, whilst also building trust by clearly articulating the promise that ideas provided by the community would be recognised and considered.
Engagement Techniques included:
- A dedicated Project Website
- Social Media Posts (Facebook & Twitter)
- Letters to adjacent residents
- Posters and Flyers distributed in Council buildings
- Email Blasts to 40,000 residents
- Newspaper advertisements
- A survey comprised of open and closed questions
- A Community Deliberative Forum consisting of 16 members belonging to the Hornsby Shire LGA
- Stakeholder meetings with relevant groups
- A Community Feedback Session held at Hornsby Mall to ‘report back’ on the submissions process to the wider community
These strategies were coupled with a commitment to engage the community until the park opens in approximately 2023. The Outcomes Report comprehensively details the strategies used by Elton Consulting to generate support and confidence from the community. The project is now moving forward to the next stage, guided by the views of the Hornsby Shire Community.